12-25 year olds, join us at West Aurora High School (1201 West New York Street, Aurora, IL 60506) February 3rd, 2018 when USA Weightlifting and Rogue Fitness put on a weightlifting specific combine. Above are the times and minors must be accompanied by an adult. The purpose – to identify young lifters in the United States and to create awareness of Olympic weightlifting as a sport in high schools and colleges. If you have questions, please call Suzy Sanchez (contact information is within the above flyer) or call/text Tom Kraus @ 630-772-0194.
Anyone watching the NCAA championships last weekend could not be blamed for thinking that glide shot putting in this country has gone the way of the western roll high jump technique.
Never heard of the western roll? My point exactly.
It is extinct, like the dodo bird.
But glide shot technique is not going anywhere. It is still be a very effective technique for high school putters, and for certain kids it is absolutely the best technique.
If you are interested in coaching the glide effectively, I invite you to sign up for a free webinar that I will be holding on Sunday, June 25th at 4:00 central time. You can register for the webinar here:
In that webinar, I will go over the fundamentals of effective gliding and explain a drill sequence that I have developed during my 25 years of coaching the throws at Wheaton North High School.
This will be a live presentation lasting approximately one hour, and attendees will be able to submit questions throughout.
If you have any questions about how this whole thing will work, please contact me at email@example.com
Throws coaches below are some upcoming clinics:
1. Illinois Track & Cross Country Coaches Association clinic (ITCCCA) on January 13th in the PM & January 14th.Mike Turk from University of Illinois & Gia Smallwood (US American record holder in the discus) are featured speakers Friday night along with Matt Martin from Edwardsville. On Saturday Mac Wilkins is doing sessions on discus, shot and training. Matt is also speaking again on Saturday. Its going to be a great clinic with a lot of good info. For more information go to: http://itccca.com/january-clinic/
2. Throws Coaches & Athletes, many of you have been asking me about this years A-Z Clinic. The A-Z Throwers Learn-By-Doing clinic has been going strong for well over a decade now. Sunday January 22nd from 9 – 3 pm is when this year’s edition will take place at Harper College in Palatine, IL. We look forward to seeing you and your throwers there. As always we have a very low athlete to coach ratio (usually 4 athletes to 1 coach). Some of the best throws coaches in Illinois are coming to help work the clinic this year. Also, this year we have online registration which should make signing up for the clinic much easier. https://quikpayasp.com/harpercollege/commerce_manager/payer.do?orderType=WHP%20-%20Throwers%20Clinics See the attached flyer for complete information (athletes must fill out the waiver and bring it with them). Please spread the word.
3. Dupage Track Club is having a throws clinic on Thursday 12/29 (shot put) and on Friday 12/30 (Discus/weights). As all of you know the throws coaches there do a great job. This clinic is for coaches or athletes. For more information go to: http://www.dupagetrackclub.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/2016_Throws_Clinic_for_Coaches_Only.312124507.pdf
4. This weekend is the “Gold Medal Throwers Camp” sponsored by the National Throws Coaches Association. This camp is held in Portage, Indiana at Portage high school’s excellent indoor facility. There are some great coaches working this clinic as well. This clinic is for athletes and coaches. For more information go to:http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07edhkuvb40284aa2a&llr=jtmbowbab
1. Throws Coach is needed for the girl’s program at Barrington H.S. Contact Jody Gitelis at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this position.
2. Throws Coach is needed for the boy’s program at Hinsdale Central H.S. Contact Noah Lawrence email@example.com if you are interested.
3. This Coming Sunday December 4th there is a Learn-By-Doing clinic at Wheaton North H.S. from 12-3 pm. See attached flyer if interested.
Saturday December 17th & Sunday December 18th there is a Learn-By-Doing clinic at Portage H.S. in Portage, IN. click on this link for information on the clinic. http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07edhkuvb40284aa2a&llr=jtmbowbab
5. Sunday January 22nd is the A-Z Learn –By- Doing Throws Clinic at Harper College in Palatine, IL. I think we have been doing this clinic for 15 years now. We have had some great kids come to this event. Contact me or Renee Zellner at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
6. Finally, I save the best for last! The ITCCCA Coaches clinic is coming up quickly! It is on Friday evening, January 13th & Saturday January, 14th. We have a great throws line up.
*Friday: Mike Turk & Gia Smallwood (US Record Holder in the Discus) will be presenting on the Discus and also Training the H.S. athlete for the Throws. I have talked with Mike regarding these presentations & I think they are going have some really good stuff!
*Saturday: Mac Wilkins Throws legend and the former Olympic & world record holder as well as an accomplished national throws coach will be speaking on the Discus, Shot & Training.
Matt Martin: Edwardsville H.S.: Matt will be speaking on what he does with his throws program at Edwardsville H.S. Last year Matt coached the boys state record holder in the discus and # 2 thrower in the country.
I lied, one more thing. Tom Pukstys, Olympic Javelin thrower has some openings for private coaching if anyone is interested. See below.
Shot-put and Discus training with Tom Pukstys, 2012 US Olympic Throws Coach
Sundays: 6pm to 8pm
Where: Palos Courts facility 12221 S. Ridgeland Ave, Palos Heights, IL 60463
Open to all levels.
Please confirm attendance with Coach Tom at Coachtom68@gmail.com
Please let me know what else I can help you guys with. The goal is to make all of our kids throw far & raise the bar for the throwing events in Illinois.
Athletes and Coaches,
Letting you know about a great opportunity for your staff members and athletes to further their skills this winter. The National Throws Coaches is sponsoring the Gold Medal Winter Throws Camp in Portage, IN on December 17th and December 18th. Over 11 hours of teaching by Elite Throws Instructors on the shot and discus! Learn By Doing, Lecture, Video Instruction, and Demonstrations are included! Available to the first forty athletes that sign up, camp promises to be a tremendous assist to help build your throws program.
For more information:
Click Here:Camp Website
Email: email@example.com 2.in.us/
On June 28th @ 4:30 I am hosting a very low key throws meet at Fremd High School. We will throw, have music playing and eat some hot dogs.
Please email me if you have people that are interested.